It’s just a lazy afternoon in the media room for this beat writer (not really). But since I’ve neglected this space all day, here are a few nuggets to chew on. (Again, none of that Bleacher Report stuff will appear on this blog)
- The Associated Press wrote an interesting piece about Nick Saban/Steve Spurrier angle for Saturday’s game. Read it here.
- Doug Segrest, formerly of the Decatur Daily now of the Birmingham News, did a midseason report for the SEC. Take a gander by clicking this.
- Bobby Jackson, the first quarterback to play under Bear Bryant at Alabama, died Monday at age 73. Read more about him in this story from the Mobile Press-Register.
- The original Big Al mascot costume is headed for its final resting place — the Bear Bryant Museum. Don’t believe me? Then click this.
- In case you’ve followed jtbowtie on YouTube, you’ll want to see his latest effort that breaks down the South Carolina and Tennessee games. It’s not flattering for the Gamecocks or Vols if you had to guess.
It’s going on 4 p.m. and zero posts on this slow Thursday in mid-May. So as you kill some time before Alabama plays Auburn on the ball diamond (6 p.m. on CSS), check out the following assortment of YouTube videos that may interest an Alabama fan. (I confess to being a huge YouTube fan and claim to be able to find a video on nearly any subject).
Enjoy. (Note: None of these videos were produced by The Decatur Daily. Just something fun while you pretend to work at your computer)
“The best Alabama football video”
“The Tradition (Alabama football pregame)”
Big Al takes out Florida Gator”
“Seymour vs Big Al – mascot fight – Southern Miss vs Alabama 2002”
“Alabama football best 50 plays of last 30 years”
“Bear Bryant gives sideline reporter a hard time”
Bear Bryant show following 1979 win over Auburn
The message boards and radio shows won’t likely have this news. This is a different kind of recruiting nugget coming out of Ashland, Ohio.
That’s right, Darrin Shafer is heading to Tuscaloosa.
And you can call him (Big) Al.
A little web research this morning turned up this story about Shafer landing the job as the Crimson Tide mascot.
Who said Big Ten country produces insufficient talent?