Photo by me
Lower seeds have certainly ruled the opening day of the SEC baseball tournament.
Of the three games already in the books, no favorites have succeeded. Seventh-seeded Alabama’s 7-1 beating of Auburn was followed by sixth-seeded Ole Miss’ win over No. 3 South Carolina.
The defending national champs, but No. 8 seed LSU just knocked off regular-season champion Florida in a spirited Game 3. Those LSU fans love them some LSU.
It’s now up to Arkansas, the four-seed, to keep it from being a white wash in the night cap against No. 5 Vanderbilt.
On a side note, let me say I’m not happy with the speed with which today’s action has been played. I didn’t leave Regions Park before 2:45 a.m. after covering Alabama in the last game of Day 1 last year. Mad maybe isn’t the word. More like bitter.
UPDATE: Vanderbilt completes the underdog sweep, 2-0 in the nightcap.
Alabama led most of the night, but a Vandy free-throw with 6 seconds left was the difference in a 65-64 loss in Coleman Coliseum.
The Tide led by as many as 10 early in the second half in a physical and acrobatic game. Alabama freshman Tony Mitchell had a wild ally-oop flush and a one-handed follow dunk among his 10 points.
Mikhail Torrance led the way with 23, but it wasn’t enough. Anthony Brock missed the potential game-winning runner in the final seconds to give Vandy its seventh straight win and Alabama its first loss in five games.
Check back later for a little video from the game. Until then, I’m signing off from Tuscaloosa.
Vanderbilt’s Bobby Johnson followed Bobby Petrino at the front of the big room full of reporters.
- In a monotone voice, the Vandy coach talked about the enthusiasm that is surrounding his program. It was infectious.
- Again, the Tebow snub was the subject of a question from a Florida-based reporter. Johnson’s response: “I don’t know if you’re going to find the culprit there.” Again, the answer drew laughs.
- The next answer also drew laughs. When asked about Florida’s potential, Johnson said: “They are going to be pretty good.”
- I am a particular fan of the following two quotes.
- “Everybody is inpatient. They all want instant success. We had three horrible years and then they gave me a contract extension.”
- I’m just glad to be here for my eighth season coming up. I’m sure not many people thought that would happen.”
- What is the next step for Vanderbilt football: Maintain momentum. “The sky is the limit for Vanderbilt, to tell you the truth.”
- Don’t forget to vote on the poll and comment on the posts (not a quote from Johnson, just another plug).