There were four starters, two singees and … wait for it … a football player with UA ties taken in the first two rounds of the MLB draft.
Read more about in in Wednesday’s print editions, but the football player was Justin Woodall — the defensive back who was drafted by the Mets coming out of high school who chose to play football with the Tide instead of pursuing his baseball career.
Until now, I guess.
He was taken in the 26th round by the Tampa Bays Rays.
Here is the rest of the Alabama players/signees taken so far:
Round (overall pick), name, pos., team
1. (35th) Matt Lipka SS, Atlanta Braves*
2. (65th) Jimmy Nelson RHP, Milwaukee Brewers
2. (66th) Reggie Golden OF, Chicago Cubs*
5. (157th) John Mugarian RHP, Cincinnati Reds*
10. (308th) Ross Wilson 2B, San Diego Padres
15. (471st) Jake Smith 3B, Philadelphia Phillies
20. (613rd) Tyler White RHP, Detroit Tigers