A handful of Alabama football players won’t suit up for the first of 15 spring practices on Friday afternoon. Here’s the quick rundown.
- Surgeries will keep running back Eddie Lacy and offensive lineman Arie Kouandjio off the field. Lacy, who was on crutches at the January national championship celebration, struggled with turf toe after initially injuring it against Arkansas. Kouandjio hurt his knee in preseason practices last August.
- Wide receiver Duron Carter is among three players suspended. The highly touted junior college transfer sat out last season for academic reasons. Ronald Carswell and Michael Bowman also remain suspended.
- On the suspensions, Alabama coach Nick Saban said: “It is what it is. They’re suspended today. That’s all I know. If it changes, I’ll tell you. Why do we have to make decisions about things we don’t know the answers to? Why would you ask me to?”
- Backup punter Jay Williams left the team and will attempt to play baseball.
- Two fifth-year seniors opted against playing their final year of eligibility — Tyler Love and Undra Billingsley.
Read much more on this later.
Also find and follow The Daily Bama Blog on:
NEW: Google+: Alabama football circle
Also see: River City Rumblings prep blog